About Us

NL40 History


Northern Light Masonic lodge located in Downtown Maumee, Ohio was started as Freemason Lodge #24 (Army Lodge) in 1813 at Fort Meigs. When the troops were disbanded after the war of 1812 the lodge was discontinued.  A new lodge was petitioned by Lieutenant Almon Gibbs of Fort Meigs and a new charter was received on December 21 1818.  The current lodge resides on that original location.  Northern Light Lodge #40 is located in Northwest Ohio and is part of a proud Masonic community. It is often called the Mother Lodge because so many Masonic lodges in Northwest Ohio and Southeastern Michigan started through Northern Light.  Northern light merged with Calumet Lodge #612 1997 and Sanford L. Collins Lodge #396 in 1995. Northern Light is also home to Royal Arch Chapter, Grotto, Eastern Stars, and Cryptic Council.


The first building (center), circa 1837, Maumee Ohio. Purchased from the Sons of Temperance in 1854.


"The East" circa 1854. Much of the original furniture shown in this photo is still in use today as is the hand-carved letter "G".